Welcome to the

6 Washington St. Barre, VT 05641            802 476-7550              AldrichLibrary@charter.net

Guide to the Manuscript Holdings

Through a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), a division of the National Archives, the Archives of Barre History was able to produce a guide to its major manuscript collections.

Index to the Guide

American Association of University Women, Barre Branch Records, 1922-1987
Averill vs. Averill Collection, 1896-1914
Ball Family Papers, 1845-1878
Barre Academy Papers, 1852-1891
Barre Boy Scout Collection, 1909-[ongoing]
Barre Girl Scout Council Records, 1937-1993
Barre Opera House Collection, 1889-[ongoing]
Barre Teachers' Strike Collection, 1987-1989
Barre Woman's Club Collection, 1913-1973
Bright Star Rebekah No. 18, I.O.O.F. Records, 1892-1969
William R. Cameron Papers, 1910-1962
Clan Gordon No. 12 Records, 1884-1977
Clan Gordon No. 12 Ladies Auxiliary records, 1904-1961
Ben Collins Papers, 1971-1979
Lelia Corti Comolli Papers, 1894-1965
Eastman Family Papers, 1864-1978
Lena Giudici Papers, 1904-1985
Goddard Seminary Collection, 1863-1975
Grand Army of the Republic Richard B. Crandall Post No. 56 Records, 1883-1930
Granite City Cooperative Creamery Records, 1920-1967
Greater Barre Jaycee Anns Records, 1973-1985
J. Alfred Healy Papers, 1902-1977
Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church Collection, 1845-[ongoing]
Dr. Joseph W. Jackson Papers, 1892-1925
Colonel Fred S. Kent Papers, 1877-1970
Lamson Advertising Service Records, 1887-1952
The LinBrooks Collection, 1897-1990
Luigi Lucioni Papers, 1906-1988
Monumental News-Review Records, 1947-1955
Philomathian Club Records, 1894-[ongoing]
Societa' di Mutuo Soccorso Records, 1906-[ongoing]
Spaulding High School Collection, 1859-[ongoing]
Florence H. Tilden Papers, 1839-1961
Universalist Church Collection, 1827-[ongoing]
Vermont Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Barre Branch Records, 1927-1986
Wheelock Family Papers, 1801-1935


American Association of University Women, Barre Branch Records

Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Dates: 1922-1987
Record Types: Minutes, scrapbooks, correspondence, manuscripts, and printed material

The Barre Branch of the A.A.U.W. was formed in 1949, having split from the Montpelier Branch (formed in 1922).The Barre Branch sponsored lectures and raised money to help rural schools. Later, it used its resources to offer scholarship money to women attending college.

The collection contains the minutes of the Barre Branch from its formation in 1949 to 1974, and from 1983 to 1985. Other material includes scrapbooks, 1949 to 1974, a manuscript history in dialogue form, and material from the national organization. The collection also contains minutes from the Montpelier Branch, 1922 to 1927, and 1943-1949, as well as some correspondence and a few annual reports.

[Return to index]

Averill vs. Averill Collection


Extent: .4 linear feet

Dates: 1896-1914

Record Types: Legal records, financial records, and correspondence

The case of E. Alice Averill vs. Arthur C. Averill et al. revolved around a dispute over the estate of Ambrose B. Averill, a prosperous Barre businessman, between his second wife and the children of his first wife.

The bulk of the collection consists of legal documents from the court case, including the bill of complaint, master's reports, depositions, and correspondence used as evidence of Ambrose Averill's courtship of his second wife. A small portion of the collection contains bills from various Barre businesses.

[Return to index]

Ball Family Papers


Extent: .25 linear feet

Dates: 1845-1878

Record Types: Correspondence, manuscripts

The Ball Family of Barre, Vermont descended from John Clark Ball (1770-1825) of Warwick, Massachusetts, and consisted of nine surviving children. The family settled in Barre around 1812, and by the 1830s, had begun to disperse, several of the children migrating to the midwest. Only one family member, Betsy Ball Averill, remained in Barre.

The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence between various members of the Ball Family, from locations as far flung as Little Osage, Missouri and Tecumsah, Michigan. The letters contain information on such subjects as religious revivals, alcoholism, and Civil War raiders. As well, three manuscripts contain genealogical information.

[Return to index]

Barre Academy Collection


Extent: 1.25 linear feet

Dates: 1852-1891

Record Types: Printed material, manuscripts, minutes, news clippings, photographs, and albums

Incorporated in 1849 as a private secondary school, the Barre Academy offered courses for those wishing to enter college, as well as preparation for those entering a profession. For most of the existence of the Academy, Dr. Jacob Shedd Spaulding acted as the principal, teacher, and business manager. After his death in 1880, the Barre Academy declined markedly in enrollment and closed in 1885.

The collection documents the formation of the Barre Academy, as well as many of its activities. Of special interest are documents and transcribed records relating to the Academy found in a time capsule buried in the cornerstone of Spaulding Graded School in 1933. Also of interest are the minutes of the Social Fraternity, a literary and debating society.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]


Barre Boy Scout Collection


Extent: .7 linear feet

Dates: 1909-[ongoing]

Record Types: Photographs, newsclippings, printed material, and correspondence

The first boy scout troop in the United States was organized in Barre on October 29, 1909 by William Foster Milne, a stonecutter from Scotland, under the name "Boy Scouts Club". By 1960 the number of Boy Scout troops in Barre had grown to eight. Currently there are two active troops.

The collection consists of newsclippings, Boy Scout Manuals, correspondence, and a small number of photographs. Most of the material dates from around 1950, though one of the photographs dates from 1909 and several of the manuals date from the 1920s. Other printed material includes certificates and programs. Correspondence (1 folder) is mainly from the Vermont Long Trail Council.

[Return to index]

Barre Girl Scout Council Records


Extent: .4 linear ft.

Dates: 1937-1993

Record Types: Minutes, news clippings, correspondence, financial records, and legal material

The first girl scout troop was formed in Barre in 1923, and the Barre Girl Scout Council was formed in 1928. In 1955 the B.G.S.C. purchased Sky Acres, a farm in Washington, VT., to be used as a summer camp. In 1968 the B.G.S.C. deeded the property to the Vermont Girl Scout Council.

The collection contains minutes (1937-1957) and news clippings (1928-1968) which document the activities of the organization. It also contains material, including deeds, relating to the creation of the Sky Acres Summer Camp.

[Return to index]

Barre Opera House Collection


Extent: 3.5 linear feet

Dates: 1889-[ongoing]

Record Types: Programs, photographs, newsclippings, correspondence, account books, and posters

The Barre Opera House currently occupies the second and third stories of Barre City Hall, which was constructed in 1899 after a fire destroyed the original 1886 structure. The Barre Opera House opened in 1886 with an active schedule of theater, musical programs and lectures sponsored by the Barre Entertainment Association. The theater was closed in 1944, but, through community effort, the Barre Opera House was able to reopen in 1982 and continues today.

The collection is divided into two series: Series I (1886-1944) which reflects the activities of both the first and second opera houses, and Series II (1973- ) which contains material documenting the successful revival of the Barre Opera House. Of special interest is an account book kept by the manager for the years 1908-1909 and 1912-1913.

[Return to index]

Barre Teachers' Strike Collection


Extent: .25 linear feet

Dates: 1987-1989

Record Types: Scrapbook, negatives, videorecording, and newsclippings

Negotiation between the Barre Education Association and the Barre City School Board began in September, 1987 and continued until June, 1988, when the B.E.A. approved a contract. The school board, however, never took action on the contract. On January 4, 1989, the teachers voted to strike. An agreement was reached on January 21, 1989.

The collection contains material produced by the B.E.A., such as contract negotiation fact sheets, issues of the strike newsletter "On the line", and mimeographs of strike strategies. The collection also contains a scrapbook of newsclippings and B.E.A. handouts gathered by a teacher, negatives of strike activities, and a videorecording of a report produced by a local television station on the National Education Association in Vermont.

[Return to index]

Barre Woman's Club Collection


Extent: 1.25 linear feet

Dates: 1913-1973

Record Types: Annual reports, programs, and newsclippings

Barre Woman's Club was formed in 1913 during a reorganization of the Barre Civic Federation (1896-1912), an organization whose goal was to unite club women of Barre for the sole purpose of civic improvement. With the formation of the Barre Woman's Club, an educational component was added which included music, art and home economics. Later a historical committee and a conservation department were added.

The collection contains printed matter relating to the Barre Woman's Club, as well as a typescript history of the club from 1896 to 1966 (including a history of the Barre Civic Federation).

Finding aid available at the archives.

[Return to index]

Bright Star Rebekah No.18, I.O.O.F. Records


Extent: 2 linear feet

Dates: 1892-1969

Record Types: Minutes, financial records, certificates

Bright Star Rebekah No. 18 was formed in 1892, one of four I.O.O.F. organizations active in Barre at that time. In 1962 the club merged with Rebekah Lodge No. 50 in Williamstown. Rebekah Lodges were the woman's branch of the Independent Order of Old Fellows, and though men were allowed to join, women governed the Lodge.

The collection contains minutes dating from 1892 to 1907 and from 1930 to 1962. More narrative detail is found in the Secretary's Report Books, dating from 1933 to 1951. A small amount of material, one folder, relates to Rebekah Lodge No. 50, of Williamstown, VT.

[Return to index]

William R. Cameron Papers


Extent: .4 linear ft.

Dates: 1910-1962

Record Types: Correspondence, newsclippings, printed material, albums, and photographs

William Roderick Cameron (1886-1963) was born in Sherbrooke, Quebec and moved to Barre in 1910 where he ran a grocery for twenty-one years. He became intrigued with the Boy Scout movement and spent much energy researching its history in Barre, VT. As well, he composed and printed music.

Much of the collection relates to Mr. Cameron's interest in Barre Boy Scout activities and history. He acquired correspondence and photographs belonging to William Foster Milne, first troop leader in Barre. The collection also includes much material relating to Mr. Cameron's campaign to prove that Barre was the home of the first Boy Scout troop in the United States. Other correspondence consists of responses to Mr. Cameron's musical compositions.

[Return to index]

Clan Gordon No. 12 Records


Extent: 5.3 linear ft.

Dates: 1884-1977

Record Types: Minutes, rollbooks, reports, account books, correspondence, and photographs

The Barre branch of the Order of Scottish Clans, Clan Gordon No.12 was chartered on May 23, 1884. The purpose was to act as a benevolent society which provided aid to sick members and to the widows of deceased members. Another purpose was to cultivate in its members fond memories of their Scottish heritage. The Clan's membership was at its height at the turn of the century and the organization remained active through the 1940's. After 1948 the meetings were frequently canceled due to small attendance and the last member was initiated on June 18, 1953. On July 22, 1972 the Order of Scottish Clans officially merged with the Independent Order of Foresters, and became the Order of Scottish Clans High Court, I.O.F. This merger had little effect on Clan Gordon No. 12 which disbanded in 1981 after years of inactivity.

The collection includes correspondence. minutes, dues, roll books, auditor's reports, treasurer's account books, and other records of Clan Gordon No. 12. The collection documents the administrative and financial life of the Clan from its founding through its decline in the 1960s. Gaps in the collection are particularly evident after the 1940's when the Clan's record keeping practices lapsed. Though much correspondence is discussed in the minutes, the collection contains only a small folder of correspondence. Other items in the collection include the records of the Barre Scottish Bagpipe and Drum Band and photographs documenting Clan activities from the 1890s to the 1950s.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Clan Gordon No. 12 Ladies Auxiliary Records

Extent: 1.6 linear ft.

Dates: 1904-1961

Record Types: Minutes, roll books, correspondence, auditor's reports, and health records

The Ladies Auxiliary to Clan Gordon No. 12 was officially instituted on April 15, 1898, though the women were active unofficially as early as 1886. The constitution states that the objective of the organization was "...to promote social and kindly feelings and intercourse among the members, and to assist each other in cases of sickness and death." The Ladies Auxiliary acted as a health and life insurance provider, and also a co-sponsor to Clan events, such as the annual picnic in Caledonia Park, dances, teas, and concerts. The Ladies Auxiliary remained active until 1960, when the members voted to liquidate the organization.

The collection documents the activities of the Ladies Auxiliary to Clan Gordon No.12. The administrative records consist mainly of correspondence, while the financial records contain auditor's reports and bills. The medical benefits records detail the health provider side of the organization and consists of health records provided by the Ladies Auxiliary doctors, and correspondence concerning health matters or the death of a member. Unfortunately, the minutes do not go back further than 1946, though one of the roll books, while not dated, appears to date from the early 1900's.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Ben Collins Papers


Extent: .8 linear feet

Dates: 1971-1979

Record Types: Manuscript material, correspondence, minutes, printed material, and audio tapes

Ben Collins (1928-1982), a former newspaper reporter, was a founding member of the Vermont Labor History Society. Collins spent three years (1966-1969) as Secretary of Civil and Military Affairs under Governor Hoff, then moved on to direct the New York - Vermont Youth Project from 1969-1971. Collins then worked for Goddard College (1971-1975) where he became Director of Information and Development. In 1976 he became Director of Central Vermont Community Action Committee where he continued until his death in 1982.

The collection consists of research notes, publications, and correspondence amassed by Mr. Collins while at Goddard College. The material focuses on the labor history of the Granite Industry and the Italian Colony of Barre, VT. Of particular interest is his correspondence with Peter Pironi, former bookkeeper at the Union Co-operative Store in the Socialist Labor Party Building in Barre.

[Return to index]

Lelia Corti Comolli Papers


Extent: 3 linear feet

Dates: 1894-1965

Record Types: Albums, printed material, newsclippings, and photographs

Lelia Corti Comolli (1897-1982) was the daughter of the sculptor Elia Corti, who was killed in 1903 on the steps of the S.L.P. building in Barre. She was a graduate of Spaulding High School's Teacher Training Program in 1917. In 1922 she married Armando A. Comolli, owner of Comolli Brothers, a granite manufacturing company. After her marriage, she taught English to Italian and Spanish immigrants.

The collection consists of three series: personal papers; family papers, and oversize material. The personal papers contain teaching material, schoolwork, travel information, and photograph albums and loose photographs of both the Corti and Comolli families. The family papers include material relating to Lelia's parents, Elia and Maria Corti, her uncle, William Corti, and her sister, Emma Corti. The oversize material consists of oversize photographs and certificates. It also includes a mixed media piece - heavy stock paper with embroidery surrounding the photograph of a child.

[Return to index]

Eastman Family Papers


Extent: 1.25 linear ft.

Dates: 1864-1978

Record Types: Correspondence, albums, scrapbooks, a diary, photographs, and news clippings

Alvah Eastman (1867-1952), the son of Chester and Ellen Eastman, came east as a young man and learned the trade of plumber. He married Ina M. Harrington (1873-1936), adopted daughter of Asa and Harriet Harrington. They had two children, Raymond H. Eastman (1897-1968) and Harold A. Eastman (1909-1978). Raymond Eastman served in the U.S. Navy during W.W.II as a radio operator on the U.S.S. Nebraska, U.S.S. Maine, and U.S.S. Edellyn. Harold Eastman graduated from Goddard Seminary in 1927 and studied art at the Boston School of Practical Art. Due to the Depression he was unable to find work as an artist and instead began a career as a linotype operator.

The papers contain material relating to the families of Alvah W. Eastman and Ina M. (Harrington) Eastman. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence between Raymond H. Eastman and other family members, documenting his service as a U.S. naval radio operator during World War I. Other material includes a diary belonging to Alvah Eastman, miscellaneous legal documents, photographs, albums, and scrapbooks. Of special interest are two letters written to Harold Eastman by the Davis family, including one written by Governor Deane C. Davis. Places represented include Highgate Springs, VT. and Revere Beach, MA.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Lena Giudici Papers


Extent: 9.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1904-1985

Record Types: Correspondence, financial records, business records, and photographs

Lena Giudici (1898-1995) was the third woman to be admitted to the Vermont Bar. After passing the Bar, she established a law practice and did accounting for various granite firms, including Giudici Brothers and Rossi & Casellini Co. Other professional duties included sitting on the board of the Office of Price Administration, which monitored prices during W. W. II. She was president of the Barre branch of the Vermont Federation of Professional and Business Women's Clubs, and was treasurer of the Vermont State Federation from 1927-1929. Through the auspices of the Federation, she attended several regional and national conferences, and was in charge of organizing the State Federation convention held in Barre on May 22 and 23, 1929.

The papers cover the years 1904 to 1985 with the bulk of the collection falling between the years 1918 and 1946. The Personal Papers series consists of correspondence, a diary, photographs, and miscellaneous printed material, while the Family Papers Series contains correspondence, mainly in Italian, official documents, and financial records. The Professional Papers encompasses a much smaller portion of the collection and consists mainly of printed material relating to Lena Giudici's law practice and printed material generated by the Office of Price Administration. One of the larger series in the collection is the Clubs and Organizations series, consisting mainly of the records of the Vermont Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs. The series includes correspondence and membership lists covering the period between 1926 and 1938 and encompassing several cities and towns, including Barre, Montpelier, Newport, White River Junction, and St. Johnsbury. The Granite Industry Series includes the correspondence and financial records of two granite carving firms, Giudici Co. and Rossi & Casellini Co. The papers of these two firms fully document their activities between the years 1918 and 1922, and include order books, financial records, sketches of monuments, and photographs.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Goddard Seminary Collection


Extent: 5.2 linear ft.

Dates: 1863-1975

Record Types: Printed material, account books, albums, and photographs

Goddard Seminary first received students in February, 1870 under the name Green Mountain Central Institute. In November, 1870 the name was changed to Goddard Seminary. Founded by members of the Universalist Faith, the school offered both college preparatory and commercial courses. In 1919, the Seminary became the Goddard School for Girls for five years. In 1935, a junior college division was organized and, in 1938, the Seminary buildings were sold and two were later razed. The school reopened in Plainfield, VT under the name Goddard College, and is still in operation today.

The bulk of material found in the collection consists of printed matter and includes a fairly complete set of annual catalogs from 1870 to 1908, with scattered examples thereafter. As well, the collection contains issues of the Goddard Record, a student publication first published in 1891. The holdings are complete from 1891 to 1904, with only scattered issues after that date. The collection also includes programs for various annual commencement activities between 1871 and 1938, as well as programs of special events such as theatrical or musical events, or alumni activities. There is little manuscript material in the collection. Two memory books, one from 1917,the other from 1920, are of interest, suggesting the range of activities in which students participated. A file of photocopies of early documents include some correspondence, tuition records, scholarship awards and registers of subscribers to the original fund drive.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Grand Army of the Republic Richard B. Crandall Post No. 56 Records


Extent: 2 linear ft.

Dates: 1883-1930

Record Types: Rollbooks, minutes, and financial records

G.A.R. Richard B. Crandall Post No. 56 was organized Aug. 11, 1883 with three objectives: "...to perpetuate the memory and history of the dead", to assist "former comrades in arms" and "to maintain true allegiance to the United States of America...". The organization disbanded in 1930.

The records document the formation and activities of the Richard B. Crandall Post No. 56, and include Memorial Day programs, correspondence, adjutants' reports, chaplains' reports, and quartermasters' reports. The core of the collection covers the years 1883 to 1913.

[Return to index]

Granite City Cooperative Creamery Records


Extent: .4 linear ft.

Dates: 1920-1967

Record Types: Photographs, printed material, and price lists.

Granite City Cooperative Creamery was formed in 1920 by a group of local farmers who wished to create a mechanism to market their milk. The Cooperative purchased the Persons Plant, an ice cream manufacturer, and produced ice cream, butter, and maple syrup, as well as operating a dairy bar and farm store.

The bulk of the collection consists of photographs. One group of photographs show machinery and equipment used at the Creamery, as well as the exterior of the building. Another group, dating from the 1950s and 1960s shows the Creamery's exhibit at various agricultural shows and include images of visiting dignitaries such as Vice-President Richard M. Nixon and Vermont Governor Robert Stafford. One unusual set of photographs dating from 1933 show National Guardsmen sent to Barre during a granite industry strike. Printed material includes price lists, by-laws, and a history of the Cooperative.

[Return to index]

Greater Barre Jaycee Anns Records


Extent: .4 linear ft.

Dates: 1973-1985

Record Types: Minutes, correspondence, manuscripts, and scrapbook

Founded in 1965, one year after the formation of the Greater Barre Jaycees. Originally the constitution stated that members had to be "wives of members and associate members of the Greater Barre Jaycees". This was later amended in 1983 to "women eighteen years of age or older." In 1983 the organization voted against affiliating with the state organization, and in 1985 the organization was dissolved.

The collection contains official documents, minutes (1973-1984), correspondence (1977-1985), project reports, and scholarship applications. One folder contains a manuscript cookbook developed for the Ethnic Heritage Festival. An oversize scrapbook contains news clippings and photographs relating to Jaycee Ann projects.

[Return to index]

J. Alfred Healy Papers


Extent: 2.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1902-1977

Record Types: Legal documents, financial records, correspondence, photographs, and printed material

J. Alfred Healy (1883-1977) was born in St. Malachie, Quebec and came to Barre in1900. He worked as accountant for Barclay Brothers, a granite manufacturing firm, from 1900 to 1903. From 1903 to 1915 he engaged in quarrying granite and from 1915 to 1930 he was part owner of Canton Brothers, a granite manufacturing plant. Canton Brothers was purchased by Rock of Ages Corporation in 1930 and he stayed on for another two years. From 1932 to 1965 he was superintendent and consultant for Jones Brothers Granite Co. Healy was an active crusader for dust control in the granite industry and was active in labor negotiations.

The bulk of the papers contain material relating to Canton Brothers Co. and Jones Brothers Granite Co., with a small portion of material on other granite companies in the Barre area. As well, a portion of the collection contains labor agreements for various granite related unions, such as quarriers or cutters, dating between the years 1905 to 1975. Of special interest is a folder containing arbitration material for the 1933 strike.

[Return to index]

Hedding Methodist Episcopal Church Collection


Extent: .4 linear ft.

Dates: 1845-[ongoing]

Record Types: Printed material, newsclippings, photographs, and financial records

The Methodist Episcopal Church was established in Barre in 1797, the first building being erected in 1801. In 1837 a second church building replaced the first church and in 1895 a third church was erected. Around 1900, the church established the North Barre mission which worked with immigrants, mainly Italian and Spanish, living in the North End of Barre.

The collection reflects church activities mainly from the 1930's and includes programs and yearbooks of varios church organizations, two histories of the church and financial records from a capital campaign. The collection also contains a religious tract documenting a controversy between Barre Methodists and Congregationalists in 1845.

[Return to index]

Dr. Joseph W. Jackson Papers


Extent: 1 linear ft.

Dates: 1892-1925

Record Types: Correspondence, financial records, municipal records, printed material, and programs

Dr. Joseph W. Jackson (1868-1937) acted as health officer for the city of Barre during the years 1903 to 1905 and was appointed to that office by the State of Vermont from 1905 to 1912. During the Spanish American War he served as assistant surgeon of the First Regiment of the Vermont National Guard, and was later active in the United Spanish War Veterans' Association. He was also active in the Boy Scouts of America and in freemasonry.

The papers include material relating to both Dr. Jackson's professional and private life. His personal papers consist mainly of bills, though it also contains a small amount of correspondence, while the professional papers deal mostly with Dr. Jackson's position as Health Officer for the City of Barre. The bulk of the material relates to clubs and organizations, and contains correspondence and programs accumulated through Dr. Jackson's association with freemasonry, though a small segment relates to his activity as a scoutmaster with the Boy Scouts during 1911 and 1912. The Spanish American War series includes a small amount of correspondence for the years 1898 to 1900, while most of the material consists of correspondence relating to the United Spanish War Veterans and the establishment of Henry B. Lamson Camp No. 2. Of special interest is the pension correspondence. Dr. Jackson was assistant surgeon for the Vermont National Guard and many veterans wrote to him, describing their experiences at Camp George H.Thomas, Chickamauga Park, Georgia which led to their disabilities.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Colonel Fred S. Kent Papers


Extent: 1.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1877-1970

Record Types: Photographs, correspondence, newsclippings, programs, and manuscripts

Colonel Fred S. Kent was born in Coldstream, New Brunswick and attended Hebron Academy in Hebron Maine, graduating in 1910. He married Lena Owen in 1919. During his career as a doctor he served in both W. W. I and W. W. II, and as a medical officer in the National Guard, as well as Director of Selective Service during W. W. II, and as Regional Medical Examiner.

The bulk of the papers are a photographic record of Kent's school years at Hebron Academy. The collection also contains correpondence and photographs of Sergeant Clayton Rogers, a protéegée of Kent's, who was killed in W. W. II. Other items of interest include a manuscript history of Montpelier, written by an ancestor of Lena Owen Kent, as well as genealogical material relating to the Wheaten, Wheeler, and Kinney families, and a folder of material relating to Luther B. Johnson of Randolph, VT.

[Return to index]

Lamson Advertising Service Records


Extent: 27.5 linear feet

Dates: 1887-1952 [Bulk Dates: 1913-1933]

Record Types: Correspondence, photographs, printed material, and scrapbooks

The Lamson Advertising Service was developed by Percy G. Lamson (1885-1964). Lamson prepared all copy, layout and design for publication in trade journals, two of which he published himself, Monument Trade Builder (1913-1921) and Memorial Merchandising (1923-1929). The economic depression of the 1930s took its toll of the monumental trade business and Mr. Lamson shifted his advertising endeavors to commercial fishing.

The collection reflects the development of the stone trades industry primarily in the 1910s and 1920s and consists mainly of correspondence with retail dealers of monuments, though it also includes correspondence with monument manufacturers, including material relating to the development of trade brochures and pamphlets. As well, it contains photographs of retail dealers and their establishments, granite quarries, and finished monuments, collected by Lamson to be used in his trade publications. The printed material consists of publications produced by Lamson, such as Memorial Merchandising and advertising brochures produced for retailers or manufacturers, as well as publications collected by Lamson, such as Memorial Art, Ancient and Modern issued by the Harry A. Bliss Co.

Finding aid available at the Archive

[Return to index]

The LinBrooks Collection


Extent: 1.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1897-1990

Record Types: Albums, manuscripts, typescripts, printed material, and photographs

After their retirement from teaching in 1952, Faith B. Linsley (1887-1990) and Stella M. Brooks (1887-1975) joined forces, calling themselves the LinBrooks and putting together a dialog of book reviews. For the next 25 years they performed the programs throughout the state. In 1956 the converted their program into a monthly review called "Book Chatter", which was published for seventeen years in the Times-Argus, a local newspaper. Faith Linsley continued her writing after Stella Brooks' death and was regularly published in the local newspaper and in various newsletters and alumni publications.

The collection is divided into four series. Series I contains scripts developed by the LinBrooks for some of their programs. Series II contains personal material, for the most part school records and writings, both published and unpublished, of Stella Brooks. Series III is the most extensive and consists mostly of writings done by Faith Linsley. Series IV, Spaulding High School material, contains items collected by Stella Brooks during her tenure as a Latin teacher. The material consists of photographs and student's work.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Luigi Lucioni Papers


Extent: 5 linear ft.

Dates: 1906-1988

Records Types: Correspondence, photographs, newsclippings, published material, audiotapes.

Luigi Lucioni (1900-1988) was born in Malnate, Italy and emigrated to New York with his family in 1911. In 1915 he won a competition which allowed him to attend Cooper Union. He also studied at the National Academy of Design, and in 1922 he was the recipient of a Tiffany Foundation Scholarship. The Carnegie International Exhibition awarded him first prize for a portrait of Ethel Waters in 1939. Throughout his career his landscapes, still lifes, and etchings exhibited a meticulous attention to detail. Lucioni, early in his career, spent summers in Barre, staying with relatives.

The papers reflect Lucioni's career as an artist and his longstanding love of opera. The bulk of the collection (approximately 2 linear feet) consists of correspondence, and is relatively evenly divided between art-related correspondence and correspondence from various opera singers, including Giovanni Martinelli, Gladys Swarthout, Cesara Valletti, and others. His art-related correspondence includes a several folders of letters from the Webb family of Shelburne, VT. Lucioni's papers also include an extensive newsclipping collection related to his career, a manuscript catalog of his works, photographs, and audio tape recordings of various operas and other music.

[Return to index]

Monumental News-Review Records


Extent: 1.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1947-1955

Record Types: Photographs, advertising copy, correspondence, and designs

Monumental News-Review, a trade magazine for the monument industry, was founded in 1889 as Monumental News. In 1939, the magazine bought Granite, Marble, and Bronze and soon after, Monument and Cemetery Review. In 1961 the magazine changed publishers and became the "official" magazine for the American Monument Association. The magazine is still published under the name Stone in America.

The collection contains photographs, negatives, advertising copy, correspondence etc. relating to the production of Monumental News-Review during the years 1950-1955. The collection may have been created by Henry C. Whitaker, Jr., an associate editor of Monumental News-Review, who lived in Barre from 1949-1961.

[Return to index]

Philomathian Club Records


Extent: 1.25 linear ft.

Dates: 1894-[ongoing]

Record Types: Minutes, correspondence, papers, programs, and photographs

The Philomathian Club was organized October 9, 1894 as a club devoted to study and improvement. In 1896 the Club joined the State Federation of Women's Clubs. In its early days Club members met weekly and gave papers on specifically chosen study topics. The Club still exists in a slightly altered form.

The collection contains material relating to the activities of the Club from its formation in 1894 to the present, including papers given at programs, programs, minutes (1894-1973), and correspondence (1913-1969).

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Societa' di Mutuo Soccorso Records


Extent: 2 linear ft.

Dates: 1907-[ongoing]

Record Types; Rollbooks, minutes, programs, and printed material

Societa' di Mutuo Soccorso was organized in 1907 as a mutual aid society which provided health and life insurance benefits, as well as an organization dedicated to maintaining Italian culture. Membership was limited to Italian men or to men who spoke Italian (usually Spanish immigrants). This policy was changed in the 1960s when membership was opened to men of any nationality. The Society is still active, though it has dropped its insurance activities and is now incorporated as Mutuo, Inc.

The bulk of the collection consists of photocopies of the rollbooks and minutes of the Society covering the years 1907 to 1967. As well, it contains a collection of socialist publications in Italian which were acquired from Federazione Socialista Italiana of Barre, Montpelier, Williamstown, and Northfield, VT.

[Return to index]

Spaulding High School Collection


Extent: 3.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1859-[ongoing]

Record Types: Printed matter, photographs, blueprints, albums, and manuscripts

Founded in 1890 as a publicly funded high school with the name Spaulding Graded School, it was successor to the privately run Barre Academy. In 1895 its name was changed to Spaulding High School. Three courses of study were offered at the school: English, Academic, and Classical. In 1902 a new course was introduced, the commercial class, which was more vocationally oriented. In 1918 the students began producing a school newspaper, the Spaulding Sentinel, and a yearbook, the Echo. A new and larger school building was completed in 1964.

The collection contains school publications, programs, reports, photographs, albums, news clippings, blueprints, yearbooks, and student papers documenting many school activities such as prize speaking, theater productions, literary publications, commencement activities, and alumni gatherings. Of particular strength is the collection of graduation programs, dating back to the first class of 1894. The material also includes yearbooks dating from 1918 to the present and photographs dating from 1893 to ca.1920. The collection does not contain much material after 1940. A time capsule, buried in the cornerstone of the Spaulding Graded School Building, was unearthed in 1933 and contains documents relating to both the Barre Academy and Spaulding Graded School.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Florence H. Tilden Papers


Extent: 3.5 linear ft.

Dates: 1839-1961

Record Types: Correspondence, printed material, a diary, scrapbooks, and photographs

Florence Holden Tilden (1875-1961), the daughter of Clark and Myra Holden, married George Tilden on June 17, 1896. She was related to several of the earliest families that settled in Barre. Because of this she developed an interest in early Barre history and in genealogy. She was one of the founding members of the Barre Historical Society and was a member of the Rebeckah Hastings Lodge of the D.A.R. Her husband, George Tilden, was a member of Co. F of the Vermont National Guard and served as a lieutenant in the Spanish American War.

The personal papers contain personal correspondence, correspondence relating to the Spanish American War National Auxiliaries, and notes relating to the Barre Historical Society and genealogical research. The bulk of the Tilden family series relates to George Tilden's experiences in the Spanish American War. Of special interest is his diary, written while he was stationed in Georgia. Also of interest is a small group of letters concerning the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906. The Holden family material contains documents relating to Clark Holden, while the photographs, albums, and scrapbooks series contains items relating to both Holden and Tilden Families.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Universalist Church Collection


Extent: 2 linear ft.


Record Types: Printed material, legal documents, newsclippings, photographs, financial records, reminiscences, and scrapbooks

The Universalist Church of Barre, VT, also known as the First Church in Barre, was organized on October 27, 1796, and thus became the first denomination to establish a church in the community. The first church building was constructed in 1821 and, in 1852, the society moved to a new site. By 1858 the first church group was organized, the "Ladies Sewing Circle" which later became the Ladies Union. The Mission Circle, another church organization, was active during the years 1909 to 1933.

The collection documents both the church building and church activities, and includes such material as deeds, account books, parish records, Board of Meeting records and photographs of both church buildings and ministers. A major portion of the collection relates to the missionary activities of the Universalist Church both locally and nationally. Of special interest is a manuscript which contains a reminiscence of the church ca. 1870.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Vermont Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Barre Branch Records


Extent: .4 linear ft.

Dates: 1927-1986

Record Types: Minutes, programs, printed material, and news clippings

The Barre branch of the Vermont Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs was formed in 1925 "...to elevate the standards for women in business and in the professions, and to promote the interests of business and professional women". Membership was limited to women who were actively engaged in business or a profession and to members who had retired but continued to pay dues.

The collection contains minutes (1974-1981), programs (1927-1982) and miscellaneous material such as songbooks, certificates and news clippings.

[Return to index]

Wheelock Family Papers


Extent: 1.6 linear ft.

Dates: 1801-1935

Record Types: Printed material, correspondence, legal documents, financial records, and photographs

Langdon C. Wheelock (1822-1873), son of Welcome and Clarissa Wheelock, passed the Vermont Bar in 1850 after reading law with Newell Kinsman, whose practice he later bought. He married Annette Goldsbury (1830-1927). They had two children, Carrie M. Wheelock (1858-1944) and Charles S.Wheelock (1865-1906). Alonzo Wheelock (no dates) a cousin of Langdon Wheelock, was a music teacher in Portland, Maine. He married Catherine Watson of Williamstown, VT.

The bulk of the material relates to Langdon C.Wheelock and his law practice, while one folder contains material collected by his son, Charles S. Wheelock. A small collection of material relates to Carrie M. Wheelock and her kindergarten, the first in Barre. Of special interest is a letter from Langdon Wheelock to his mother, written in 1850 which gives a description of life in Barre at that time. The letters of Alonzo Wheelock to Susan Watson are also of interest as they draw a picture of life in Portland, Maine in the late 1830s.

Finding aid available at the Archives.

[Return to index]

Museum Archives